Growth & Development, not Labeling
Type develops. Like a tree grows, so does our awareness of and comfort with all of the mental functions (Sensing, iNtuition, Thinking and Feeling). And while growth and development can happen organically—at their own pace, we can also approach our Type Development with some intention and design. Type is about growth and development, not sorting or labeling.
Becoming More Present and Detailed
The Sensing function helps us face the facts and be realistic. It tells us exactly what the situation is and what is being done about it. Sensing works against wishful thinking or sentiment that may obscure what is. It can tell us what is happening right now or what has happened in the past. Sensing is concrete, realistic, practical, and experiential.
- Describe in detail the facts of various situations.
- List the unshakable facts, the realities that are beyond dispute.
- Be specific about the data you have, such as sales or production figures, costs, market share, verbal reports, and your own observations.
- Balance you checkbook and/or pull a detailed report together.
- Reflect on and record (write down) the chronology of an event or project.
- Take a walk and focus specifically on the temperature, the smells in the air and the How many different nature sounds or machine sounds can you identify (the exercise is the experience, not the counting or cataloging).
- Eat a meal and focus on the different tastes—push yourself to discern and identify the specific ingredients, spices and textures.
Long a thought and training leader in world of Type, OKA offers two compelling and completely different training approaches to anyone interested in better understanding and more powerfully using Type.
Pearman Certification introduces participants to the newest and sharpest Type tool, the Pearman Personality Integrator. This two-day class is offered in-person and online and empowers its participants to use this great new tool to support and drive focused Type Development.
Using Type in Coaching and Development is a rich and sophisticated deep dive into Type Theory and the MBTI. In this interactive, two-day class, participants come to understand and learn how to teach and apply Type Dynamics (dominant, auxiliary, tertiary and inferior functions), balance and Type Development–even getting to practice accessing and using each of the four mental functions.
OKA also publishes the Type Development Workbook, by Hile Rutledge to support the deep dive into Type Dynamics and the MBTI.
Consider these related OKA Type Development blog titles
- OKA’s Type Development Series–#1: The Value of Thinking
- OKA’s Type Development Series–Developing T
- OKA’s Development Series–#2: The Logic of Feeling
- OKA’s Type Development Series–Developing Feeling
- OKA’s Type Development Series–#3: The Possibilities of Sensing
- OKA’s Type Development Series–#4: The Details of iNtuition
- OKA’s Type Development Series–Developing N