Growth & Development, not Labeling
Type develops. Like a tree grows, so does our awareness of and comfort with all of the mental functions (Sensing, iNtuition, Thinking and Feeling). And while growth and development can happen organically—at their own pace, we can also approach our Type development with some intention and design. Type is about growth and development, not sorting or labeling.
Becoming More Imaginative and Future-focused
The iNtuitive function helps us discover and consider possibilities—all the ways in which we might change a situation, our approach, or other people’s attitudes. The iNtuitive function helps us see what is not evident and might go against our natural assumptions. With iNtuition we see patterns suggested in the whole and project them into a possible future. The iNtuition function gives us abstraction, imagination, inference, theory, and originality.
- Find a new idea or vision that constitutes a change, and champion its consideration or adoption.
- Examine and talk about a theory, trend or model that underpins an idea or proposal.
- Conceptualize your life/career in one year, five years, ten years—write down or discuss and brainstorm these ideas.
- Imagine at least two different possibilities for what a statement or action might mean.
- Picture a completed or achieved goal. What does success look and sound? Let this vision inform and fuel your actions.
- Let your mind wander/daydream into the future.
- Brainstorm possibilities.
- Generate three more options than you think you need—stretch possibilities you are considering.
- Have a discussion that flows from one topic to another.
- Ask someone an open question and follow up their answer with another question.
Long a thought and training leader in world of Type, OKA offers two compelling and completely different training approaches to anyone interested in better understanding and more powerfully using Type.
Pearman Certification introduces participants to the newest and sharpest Type tool, the Pearman Personality Integrator. This two-day class is offered in-person and online and empowers its participants to use this great new tool to support and drive focused Type Development.
Using Type for Coaching and Development is a rich and sophisticated deep dive into Type Theory and the MBTI. In this interactive, two-day class, participants come to understand and learn how to teach and apply Type Dynamics (dominant, auxiliary, tertiary and inferior functions), balance and Type Development–even getting to practice accessing and using each of the four mental functions.
OKA also publishes the Type Development Workbook, by Hile Rutledge to support the deep dive into Type Dynamics and Type Development.
Consider these related OKA Type Development blog titles
- OKA’s Type Development Series–#1: The Value of Thinking
- OKA’s Development Series–Developing T
- OKA’s Type Development Series–#2: The Logic of Feeling
- OKA’s Type Development Series–Developing Feeling
- OKA’s Development Series–#3: The Possibilities of Sensing
- OKA’s Type Development Series–Developing S
- OKA’s Type Development Series–#4: The Details of iNtuition