Growth & Development, not Labeling
Type develops. Like a tree grows, so does our awareness of and comfort with all of the mental functions (Sensing, iNtuition, Thinking and Feeling). And while growth and development can happen organically—at their own pace, we can also approach our Type development with some intention and design. Type is about growth and development, not sorting or labeling.
Becoming Connected and Personal
The Feeling function helps us weigh how much we care about the things that will be gained or lost by each. The Feeling function seeks accord between our personal sense of values and our actions. Its personal nature helps us focus on the relationships around us and how our decisions affect them. Feeling is empathic, values-focused, subjective and personal. Only the Feeling function can make decisions motivated by compassion and harmony.
- Reflect on how much you personally care about proposed actions, and the extent to which these actions fit your values—are the actions good or bad, and how will they impact you, your image, and those you care about.
- Consider other people’s feelings—both reasonable and unreasonable. Remember when you felt a similar way and what your resulting needs or expectations were.
- Reflect upon and journal (write down) the non-negotiables in your Statements like, “People should. . .” or “It is important that . . .” might help.
- Express your feelings to someone you like, appreciate or care for (personally or professionally).
- Establish eye contact, smile, and tell someone “Good Morning,” or “Hello”.
- Talk to someone about a value you feel strongly about. Statements like, “People . .” or “It is important that . . .” might help.
- Sell someone on an idea, belief or course of action—don’t debate them with logic, but sell them, convince them with your values and belief that your ideas are worth adopting.
Long a thought and training leader in world of Type, OKA offers two compelling and completely different training approaches to anyone interested in better understanding and more powerfully using Type.
Pearman Certification introduces participants to the newest and sharpest Type tool, the Pearman Personality Integrator. This two-day class is offered in-person and online and empowers its participants to use this great new tool to support and drive focused Type Development.
Using Type for Coaching and Development is a rich and sophisticated deep dive into Type Theory and the MBTI. In this interactive, two-day class, participants come to understand and learn how to teach and apply Type Dynamics (dominant, auxiliary, tertiary and inferior functions), balance and Type Development–even getting to practice accessing and using each of the four mental functions.
OKA also publishes the Type Development Workbook, by Hile Rutledge to support the deep dive into Type Dynamics and the MBTI.
Consider these other OKA Type Development blog titles:
- OKA’s Type Development Series–#1: The Value of Thinking
- OKA’s Type Development Series–Developing T
- OKA’s Type Development Series–#2: The Logic of Feeling
- OKA’s Type Development Series–#3: The Possibilities of Sensing
- OKA’s Type Development Series–Developing S
- OKA’s Type Development Series–#4: The Details of iNtuition
- OKA’s Type Development Series–Developing N