Today’s workplace requires effective leaders to work across multiple boundaries where differences such as culture, gender, age, geography and hierarchy can all present unique challenges. Are you adapting your influence style to your target audience? Are your vision and passion being received by others as you intended? What steps can I take to be a more effective leader? Influence Style Indicator® is an assessment instrument designed to understand an individual’s preferred style as they influence others.
How Influence Style Indicator® works
The self-rating assessment tool uses 40 items to establish a raw score on five influence styles. Scores for each influence style fall on a scale from 1 – 16. The instrument addresses one’s dominant, preferred, secondary and underutilized styles. The online assessment provides individuals with a personalized feedback report based on their unique influencing preferences. This personalized report addresses individual strengths and challenges, explains how to address underutilized styles and provides tips for using influencing effectively. Two primary orientations are defined:Advocating and Uniting. Five dominant styles are considered:Rationalizing, Asserting, Negotiating, Inspiring and Bridging.
Advocating: Individuals put forward ideas and offer logical, rational reasons to convince others of their point of view. Individuals insist that their ideas are heard and considered even when others disagree. Uniting: Individuals advocate for their position by encouraging others with a sense of shared mission and exciting possibilities. Individuals attempt to influence outcomes by connecting with others through listening, understanding and building coalitions.
Rationalizing: Using logic and reasoning to present your ideas Asserting: Stating preferences clearly and applying pressure Negotiating: Compromising and making concessions to find common ground Inspiring: Influencing others through shared purposes and broader possibilities Bridging: Engaging and connecting with others.
OKA’s blended learning certification process can be completed quickly and remotely in three steps:
- Register. An OKA Consultant will connect with you via email to begin the certification process.
- Learn online with interactive modules.
- Receive one-on-one coaching with an OKA Master Trainer on the best way to use the tool.
- Up to 90 minutes of individual coaching from an OKA Master Trainer
- OKA Support tools
- Access to Exclusive Normative Reporting
- Downloadable Facilitator Guide
- Downloadable PowerPoint slides
- Online Training Modules
- Access to Online Assessment Center
- Earn 3.5 SHRM PDCs
After engaging with this powerful assessment tool leaders will:
- Learn about five unique influencing styles
- Examine what their chosen influence style looks like to others
- Understand when their personal style is best used and what the potential pitfalls may be
- Determine best opportunities to flex their style to address a variety of situations
- Improve the ability to connect with others using a variety of influencing styles
- Investigate how timing and discretion are important considerations in influencing
- Reach an understanding of how influencing styles can impact organizational decision making
- Be able to identify others’ preferred style